I quite like cakes both from the point of eating and baking.
I have quite a few pictures of cakes on Flickr and the reasons I do that are several-fold:
1. If I have baked something I am proud of I want to preserve the picture.
2. It is easy to share the Flickr URL of the cake.
3. I can also embed Flickr pictures into my blog.
4. I use cake examples a lot in my teaching (there is a lot of similarities between cooking and programming).
5. They add (I think) a human side to me for my students and colleagues without unduly exposing my family.
6. Occasionally the cakes are as a result of online conversations, for example I made a chocolate beer cake, because I saw a tweet from someone else who had made one.
So cakes are part of my real life identity but because of decisions I have taken I think they actually represent a larger portion of my digital identity.